Sleep is one of the most important functions of the brain. The ability of the nervous system to regulate sensory input is considered a prerequisite to sleep. Specific areas of the brain change in their function to prevent transmission of sensory information that might keep us awake. Patients suffering from pain or other sensory conditions that contribute to a continual activation of the brain may have difficulty sleeping.
Sleeping problems account for millions of hours of lost work, along with billions of dollars in medication and doctor bills. Sleeplessness has resulted in people seeking prescription medication, lifestyle changes and relationship modifications. Chiropractors can offer alternative, holistic approaches to address sleeplessness.
Sleep performs three vital functions to sustain life and vitality:
- Sleep rejuvenates the body chemistry for renewed energy through proper detoxification.
- Sleep recharges the immune system, repairs damage done to the body and promotes the growth of new tissue.
- Sleep helps process, sort and store everything learnt, felt or experienced during the day.
Chronic pain from physical ailments may stem from the spinal cord, which man affect the brain that causes sleep disorders. Underlying causes of sleep disturbance such as stress, back pain, neck pain, and headaches man be corrected through therapy from Chiropractic care.
Chiropractors evaluate sleep complaints with a meticulous sleep history and physical examination with attention to the neurologic, cardiopulmonary, and psychological functions. Generally, Chiropractic treatment is a good alternative for those individuals who do not feel rested and who do not want to take prescription drugs to assist them in getting quality sleep.
Chiropractic adjustments man help in clearing up the nervous pathways throughout the body and increase circulation to taut and tired muscles, thereby improving deeper relaxation naturally.
It may be important to see a Chiropractor if you are experiencing some of the sign and symptoms of poor sleep. Chiropractic treatments combined with nutritional supplements and dietary modifications may help achieve deeper, more restful sleep on a nightly basis and improve your overall health.
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”
Towards Wellness: Make Sure You are Exercising Enough While Stuck at Home
Exercise releases chemicals in the body that make us feel good, and it has also been linked to better sleep, reduced stress and anxiety, and improved memory and cognition. Team sports may be off the agenda, but you can certainly still exercise on your own. Just because the gym is closed, it does not mean you cannot exercise. If you can make sure you are using any outdoor time allowance you have to go for a run, walk or cycle and to get your heart rate pumping. If you can’t get outside, most of your favourite fitness gurus and trainers will be doing online exercise programmes that you can follow from the comfort of your own living room.
S-T-R-E-T-C-H of the Month: Figure 4
- Sit on a mat with your legs extended in front of you.
- Place your hands behind you, fingertips facing away from your body.
- Lift one leg, placing your ankle on your opposite leg, just above the knee. Keep your feet flexed to protect your knees.
- Slowly bend your bottom leg toward you, until you feel a stretch in the outer hip of the other leg.
- Straighten your back, roll your shoulders down and push out your chest. Hold, then switch sides.